Author's note: This article is reserved for the next edition of As-Shifa' Magazine (in Global column) which will be released and distributed soon insya Allah ;-)
1. This time, my article will be relatively a lot more factual than many previous ones, but I think it is important, as a reference and therefore as points for us when we face Muslims and non-Muslims alike with regard to Islam and terrorism.
2. The idea though is very simple. Islam itself by definition means peace through one of its derivations in Arabic language, from the word salam.
3. In fact we give salam to each other when we meet and greet by saying peace be upon you.
4. Peace is achieved when Islam is practised, and the practice of Islam is only ones that are taught by Allah the owner of your soul and my soul and He does this by revealing Al-Quran and through the examples set by our beloved Prophet Muhammad SAW, the seal of all prophets.
5. Terrorism is against peace but is almost always associated with Islam.
6. Islamophobia that results is indicative of how the reality is twisted in a way that always puts Islam as rightly blameworthy.
7. As it will be too long though to discuss on how this takes place, I will skip this part.
8. Instead of being in defense mode, I think it’s better to propose how in reality Islam is an ultimate religion of peace.
9. This is not only by theory or its teaching, but also through crude facts I will present that will hopefully open your eyes and your mind.
|Just another eye-catching scene ;-)|
10. We’ll play with some numbers now.
11. First, as analyzed from Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) database, there have been 318 terrorist cases in the United States from 1950 until 2005. This includes 209 bombings and 43 arsons.
12. Out of these, 42% were committed by Latino groups, 24% by Extreme Left Wing groups, 7% by Jewish Extremists and only 6% by Muslim Extremists.
13. Let me put this into context. First, these facts are provided by FBI, which is not even an Islamic organization.
14. So quite automatically, you can’t say that this is a bias that favors the Muslims.
15. Second, the statistics are absolutely the opposite of the impression we get from the worldwide media i.e. Muslims are world number one terrorists.
16. Third, we should distinguish between Islam and Muslim.
17. What a Muslim does may or may not be in the teaching of Islam.
18. As far as all terrorist incidents by Muslims are concern, these people are extremists and may not truly represent Islam, so it is unfair to postulate from there that Islam promotes terrorism.
19. I will try to further expound on the real concept Islam teaches us with regard to achieving peace but before that, here are few more staggering facts we should dare to swallow.
20. The US government-funded RAND Corporation reported that since September 11, 2001 until 2009, only 3 from 83 acts of terrorism were committed by the Muslims and they were the extremists.
21. In addition, the Europol’s report titled “EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report” stated that 0.4% terrorist attacks from 2006-2008 were committed by Muslim Extremists.
22. Do your maths now. Does that not mean that the other 99.6% were the non-Muslims?
23. Islam through Al-Quran clearly explains that peace is always the first and the best choice for Muslims. Islam teaches to forgive. Islam teaches that the most important thing is to spread the message of truth.
24. In Surah At-Taubah, (9:5-6), even in a battle or war, Islam teaches Muslims to forgive the enemies and even escort them to protect them to a safe place, if they repent and accept Islam.
25. I don’t think there is any other philosophy or teaching in this world except Islam that still opens the door for forgiveness and acceptance even in a war.
26. Also, in Surah Al-Anfal, (8:69) it says, “But if the enemy inclines towards peace, do you (also) incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is the One that hears and knows (all things)” which explicitly demonstrates how Islam has the inclination towards peace more than anything else.
27. Had Islam taught Muslims to become terrorists, there should be no room for forgiveness, let alone to even think about achieving peace with the enemy!
28. I shall end with this powerful message. Surah Al-Maidah, (5:8) communicates to us that we must do justice even to the people whom have hatred in us.
29. That means, Islam strictly prohibits any form of injustice but to treat and deal with these people justly and give them what they deserve. This is the real justice!
|Islam leads us to ultimate justice, by His will ;-)|
30. To conclude, I hope this article will benefit Muslims and non-Muslims alike by separating the sentiment of terrorism with Islam, because there is no relationship between the two at all.
31. We need this paradigm shift because Islam has for so long been accused and victimized with skewed and untrue portrayal. So change your paradigm now, or just lock it with the caps lock on your keyboard. OK forget it. I know, I don’t understand what I said too.